Autumn Term 1:
- Introductory work on Integers, Powers and Roots, with focus upon factors, common factors, highest common factors of numbers, multiples, common multiples and lowest common multiples of numbers.
- Sequences, Functions and Graphs; Looking at how numbers work in sequences with term to term and position to term/nth term analysis.
- Shape and Angle work with analysis on shapes and angles given and further development in terms of constructing own shapes and angles.
Autumn Term 2:
- Probability: Working with probability scenarios and understanding the importance of experimental and theoretical probability.
- Ratio and Proportion investigations
- Algebra study with Equations, Formulae, Identities and Expressions - looking primarily into what letter symbols represent in expressions and substitution of integers into equations.
Spring Term 1:
- Mensuration and Measures study, concerning developing studies on area and perimeter of a range of shapes.
- The second Sequences, Functions and Graphs topic of study, concentrating upon graphing sequences.
- Mental calculations and checking, with a specific focus on methods chosen to calculate and/or solve set sums and problems.
Spring Term 2:
- Transformations and co-ordinates study, looking into different transformations of shapes primarily and how they work.
- Interpreting and discussing results with specific focus given to Data Handling methods of collecting and displaying results.
- A second Equations, Formulae, Identities and Expressions study with further work upon equations and the importance of substitution outlined.
Summer Term 1:
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages, concerning a wide range of topics including finding percentages of amounts, decimal and fraction equivalents and working with fractions and four operations.
- A second Measures and Mensuration study concerning measures in everyday contexts and exploration of volume.
- Calculations and checking; looking into written and mental methods and how to work with set scenarios efficiently.
Summer Term 2:
- Co-ordinates and Construction: Students will be studying and completing problems involving co-ordinate measurements across all four quadrants, with shape creation a key focus.
- Geometrical Reasoning and Mensuration; this year 8 preparation unit will cover work on 2D and 3D shapes and primarily, will explore surface area.
Maths Useful websites:
Phone 01202 774616