Autumn Term 1:
Your child will be studying and focusing on: Keeping Healthy and Material Choices
- How do our bodies resist infection?
- What are vaccines and antibiotics and how do they work?
- What factors increase the risk of heart disease?
- How do our bodies keep a healthy water balance?
- How do we measure the properties of materials and why are the results useful?
- Why is crude oil important as a source of new materials such as plastics and fibres?
- Why does it help to know about the molecular structure of materials such as plastics and fibres?
- What is nanotechnology and why is it important?
Autumn Term 2:
Your child will be studying and focusing on: Data Analysis and Radiation and Life
- Interpreting and evaluating their own first-hand data and is designed as a stepping stone towards the wider range of skills required to carry out an independent, complete investigation
- What types of electromagnetic radiation are there? What happens when radiation hits an object?
- Which types of electromagnetic radiation harm living tissue and why?
- What is the evidence for global warming, why might it be occurring, and how serious a threat is it?
- How are electromagnetic waves used in communications?
Spring Term 1:
Your child will be studying and focusing on: Sustainable Energy & A Case Study
- How much energy do we use?
- How can electricity be generated?
- Which energy source should we choose?
- A case study of a topical issue in science that focuses on evaluating evidence provided or reported by others
Spring Term 2:
Your child will be studying and focusing on: Chemicals in our Lives and Life on Earth
- What were the origins of minerals in Britain that contribute to our economic wealth?
- Where does salt come from and why is it so important?
- Why do we need chemicals such as alkalis and chlorine and how do we make them?
- What can we do to make our use of chemicals safe and sustainable?
Summer Term 1:
Your child will be revising and preparing for the following Mock exams
- You and Your Genes
- Keeping Healthy
- Life on Earth
- Air Quality
- Material Choices
- Chemicals in our Lives
- Planet and the Universe
- Radiation and Life
- Sustainable Energy
Summer Term 2:
Students will continue to take their GCSE Exams. Your child will then be studying and focusing on: Chemical Patterns and Life Processes:
- How do chemical reactions take place in living things
- How do plants make food?
- How do living organisms obtain energy?
Science useful websites:
Science Revision Guides:
These can be purchased from the Science Office
- GCSE Science
- GCSE Additional Science
Contact the Science Department
Phone: 01202 774650