Login

GCSE Graphics

Teacher Mr Biles

The Graphics Products GCSE course is made up of a controlled assessment worth 60% of their final grade and an exam worth the remaining 40%.

Year 10 is primarily spent learning and experimenting with techniques and applying these to projects in preparation for their controlled assessment and the written exam.

Autumn Term 1:

Your child will be studying and focusing on:

  • Understanding the difference between 2 and 3D graphic products
  • Knowing the use and applications of the basic technical drawing equipment
  • Understanding and recognise the difference between the basic papers used in graphic products
  • Understanding the principles of orthographic projection
  • Being able to analyse graphic products using: form, function, user requirements and performance requirements
  • Understanding that crating helps the construction of sketches and their proportion.

Autumn Term 2:  

Your child will be studying and focusing on:

  • Introducing packaging as a graphic product
  • Applying the analysis criteria to a different product — including scale of production
  • Understanding the manufacturing processes involved, including printing, vacuum forming and cutting
  • Understanding the advantages or disadvantages of materials and components
  • Being able to justify materials and components used in packaging

Spring Term 1:

Your child will be studying and focusing on:

  • Applying the knowledge from the 2D graphic investigation and to a packaging design
  • Using CAD in the construction of the design
  • Understanding the functional and mechanical properties of metals, glass, polymers and their applications, disadvantages and advantages
  • Understanding the aesthetic, functional and mechanical properties of modelling materials
  • Understanding the basic marking out and cutting tools used in the production of simple architectural models

Spring Term 2:  

Your child will be studying and focusing on:

  • Identifying hazards and perform appropriate risk assessments
  • Developing skills in manipulating MDF
  • Understanding the uses and preparation of the listed adhesives
  • Manipulating MDF appropriately in modelling activity
  • Applying modelling materials to the basic structure to create a realistic impression of the intended design

Summer Term 1:

Your child will be studying and focusing on:

  • Understanding the term ergonomics
  • Defining the term smart material
  • Understanding the structural composition and applications of the listed smart materials
  • Understanding the importance of CAD in designing 2D graphics for packaging
  • Recognising the commercial methodology in DTP
  • Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of CAD to the commercial designer
  • Recognising the use of a laser cutter in the production of net prototypes and other uses

Summer Term 2:

Your child will be studying and focusing on:

  • Being able to draw a selected design on a given CAD package
  • Rotate, shell and render options for the presentation of the design
  • Completing a range of ideas for the 3D element of the outer perfume packaging
  • Model and plan to develop a final solution to the package
  • Understanding the importance of tabs and locking devices on nets

Useful A & D websites:

www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize                     
www.dtonline.org
www.technologystudent.com
www.designandtech.com
www.sciencemuseum.org.uk
www.design-technology.info

Important dates:

Coursework deadline 12th February

Contact the Art & Design  Department

Phone: 01202 774623
Email: lhart@oak.bournemouth.sch.uk

Drop-Ins and Parents’ Evening & Other Important Dates:

Monday 16 June to Friday 20 June – Activities Week